Monday 15 June 2009

Old Church Slavonic



Meanwhile, I started decyphering the callicraphy on the Nerukotvornyi Icon and I got as far as
UBRO[S]' G[OSPO]D[INA] B[O]GA
SP[A]SA NASHEGO I[E?]SA KH[RISTU]SYA
which would mean something like
Image/icon of Jesus Christ, Our Lord God the Saviour
But I am not an expert in Church Slavonic, so I would welcome any comments.

That was yesterday. Found some other texts in a catalog of Early Printed Cyrillic Books today.
...gospoda nashego Isusa Khrista
...rozhdestva Gospoda Boga i spasa nashego Īsusa Khrista
In addition, closer inspection of a detailed scan revealed the reading UBRU[S]
Thus making
UBRU[S] G[OSPO]D[A] B[O]GA
SP[A]SA NASHEGO I[SU]SA KH[RI]STA


UBRUS/OUBROUS seems to denote 'towel' in OCS
according to Wiktionary
Or kerchief - a reference to the Mandylion



www.gafpa.nl

No comments: